THIS fine old photograph, thought to date from Edwardian days, belongs to regular Bugle contributor Raymond Franks of Stourport and we hope that readers may be able to provide some information on it.
The location is not known. Clearly, the pub is called the Summer House Hotel and Gospel End is written on the back of the picture, but this pub is very different from the Summer House that stands at Gospel End, Sedgley, today. Perhaps that Summer House has been rebuilt since this photograph was taken, or does it show an altogether different pub of the name?
In the 1900 edition of Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire there are also Summer House pubs at Steelhouse Lane and New Hampton Road West in Wolverhampton.
The pub in the picture sells "Banks's noted ales", which suggests it was in or around the Black Country.
The landlord was Arthur G. Morris; is he one of the men in the group out the front of the pub?
A painted sign advertises "accommodation for cyclists", then a burgeoning pastime at the turn of the 20th century, and a bicycle leans against the large kerb stones. The pub also had "good stabling" and there is a sizeable mounting block just by the gate to the pub's stable yard.
Can you identify this mystery pub from days gone by? Get in touch with us at 41 High Street, Cradley Heath, B64 5HL or email editor@blackcoun trybugle.co.uk