Login Register
 °

Sedgley memories of classroom's gas lighting

By Black Country Bugle  |  Posted: April 07, 2014

Comments (0)

IN response to the letter from Doreen Harris which appeared in The Bugle (March 13 edition) re the gas lighter.

It was somewhat before my time but I can remember attending All Saints Infants and Junior School in the early 1950s. The school was funded by All Saints Church before being transferred to Sandwell Local Authority.

The school was in a poor state of repair and there was still gas lighting in the classrooms. I remember a pupil walking from class to class with a large wooden pole with a lighted straw which blew out when you went into the corridor. Even at Christmas with the school decorated with streamers a lighted pole was still used. I bet Health and Safety would not allow that today.

The flooring of the school was full of holes and if you dropped anything on to the floor it was gone. We also had slate boards and used chalk. If the heating, which was coal fired, failed it was a matter of putting your coat on and going home. The toilets were outside across the playground and you thought twice about going. I also remember the large ice slides in the playground during the winter. But despite everything we had a good education, but it was not a place for softies.

Robert Fessey,

207 Northway, Sedgley.

Read more from Black Country Bugle

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES