IT’S not often that library staff get the recognition that they deserve, but here at least we can put the focus on such a group from Wednesbury, even though this takes us back 52 years.
It’s opportune too, because this is a time when many libraries are closing due to cutbacks.
For this photograph we must thank Mrs Pat Mansell (nee O’Neill), of Aldridge (fourth from the left). It shows the entire staff of Wednesbury Public Library in 1960 (the library had first opened in 1878).
This will hopefully bring back memries for many Wednesbury readers.
These are the names supplied by Pat, reading left to right.... Kath Talbot (now Webb), Rosemary Wilkes, Margaret Marshall (Croad), Pat O’Neill (Mansell), Gertrude Jackson, (?), Mr Newman (Librarian), Elizabeth Hammond, Councillor Owen, Jean Moseley (Hackwood), Mr Walford (previous Librarian), Mrs and Mr Cresswell (Caretakers). One missing member of staff was Pam Doody (Clifford).
The photograph was taken in the reference library.