Login Register

Wednesbury slip up at Shrews

By Black Country Bugle  |  Posted: April 03, 2014

Comments (0)



IN THIS week's game Wednesbury took on second in the league Shrewsbury, a very close and entertaining game and a game Wednesbury could and should have won.

With the game only a minute old Shrewsbury's winger took advantage of a missed tackle to race down the wing for their first try, they then added the conversion.

Because of injuries Wednesbury had to make a number of changes to last week's team, having to bring in two front row players both well into their forties. One, Kevin Ferris, was making his comeback from a very serious knee injury in his first game of the season.

Having said that Wedesbury put in an excellent performance. Shrewsbury increased their lead with their second try halfway through the half, no conversion.

It took the home side six minutes to get onto the score sheet and when it came it was a brilliant try. Wednesbury were awarded a scrum in the visitors' half; they pushed Shrewsbury backwards then John McGregor picked the ball up from the base of the scrum, and raced forward before releasing the ball to Alex Love to use his strength and power to crash over for the try. Tom Huggins added the conversion.

For the rest of the half Wednesbury's forwards pressured the visitors keeping them pegged back in their own half. On the odd occasion Shrewsbury tried to break out but Wednesbury's defence more than coped, particularly Jack Harris who put in some crunching tackles.

With just two minutes of the half remaining a rare mistake in Wednesbury's defence allowed the Shrewsbury winger to run in for their third try, no conversion.

Half time score Wednesbury 7 Shrewsbury 17.

The second half was only five minutes old when Shrewsbury increased their score with a penalty. Again Wednesbury kept the pressure on the visitors and this paid off when they were awarded a penalty – Tom Huggins kicked.

The home side looked the more likely winners when Mitch Grealey finished off a brilliant move involving forwards and backs to go over for Wednesbury's second try, no conversion.

Shrewsbury were awarded another penalty which they successfully converted.

At this point in the game it was cracking end to end rugby. Wednesbury were awarded a penalty kick which Tom Huggins put away.

The home side kept the pressure on Shrewsbury but they could not find a way through their defence. This display was all the more remarkable with the age of the Wednesbury front row having over one hundred and thirty years of experience between them.

Wednesbury have two remaining games for this season and both are local derbies; the first next week away to Bloxwich. Kick off 3pm.

Read more from Black Country Bugle

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters