WE turn the clock back some 40 years or so, to the 1970s, with this postcard of a Black Country scene, but does anyone recognise it?
Well done if you recognised Clock Gardens in Stourbridge, an area that has been transformed not once, but twice since this picture was taken.
The gardens were at the junction of the High Street and Crown Lane and took their name from the clock, probably Stourbridge's best-known landmark, erected in 1857, but not visible in this picture.
However, a lost landmark can be made out, at the far corner of the gardens, opposite the shop Stephens of Stourbridge, is the pedestal of the King Edward VI Grammar School sundial. This was presented to the town by the school in 1952 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the granting of its charter.
The sundial has since gone missing but was recently found again, thanks to an appeal in the Bugle (see Bugles 1105 and 1114).
At the far left of the picture is the Mitre public house, while roughly opposite, at the junction of High Street and Coventry Street, are the premises of wine merchants Nickolls and Perks, formerly the Board Vaults public house and one of the oldest buildings in Stourbridge.
Clock Gardens were swept away by the redevelopment that saw the building of the Crown Centre. Work began in 1983 and the centre opened in 1985 but this too was demolished in 2012 to make way for a new supermarket, which opened in October 2013.