THERE are more photographs from the collection of Barbara Richards, former head of girls’ PE at Ward’s Bridge School, Wednesfield (see also Bugles 920, 928 and 929). These pictures date from the earliest days of the school, which opened in 1955, and show the staff, prefects and the original school buildings.
Our first picture is of the original Ward’s Bridge staff and Barbara has put names to the faces. Across the back row, from left, are: Pat Carter, Gwynne Roberts, Arnold Alcock, Alan Clay, Arthur Holt, John Cartwright, Cyril Gamston, and Margaret Benton.
On the front row are: Jill Geddes, Elizabeth Jenns, Jean Lewis, deputy head Edith Brown, headmaster Ted Kennings, senior master Ken Jones, Betty Amos, Betty Pearson, and school secretary Mary Wallis.
The next picture was taken a few years later in 1958/59 and shows how the school’s staff had expanded. On the back row are: Stuart Dickenson, Bill Turner, Arnold Alcock, Dennis Bailey, John Raven, Vic Oakley, Dennis Devey, Don Gallatley, Derek Buckley, Arthur Holt, and Eric Morson. On the middle row are: Tom McEwan, Jenny Hallet, Jean Hampton, Jill Hadley, Edna Davey, Margaret Benton, Beth Berry, Pat Edwards, Dorothy Parker, Gwen Sweetman, Barbara Richards, and Mary Ash.
On the front row are: Mary Wallis, Betty Amos, Betty Pearson, Cyril Gamston, Edith Brown, Ted Kennings, Ken Jones, Elizabeth Jenns, Ted Mason, Margaret Price, Derek Davies, and Gwynne Roberts.
The third picture shows headmaster Edward Kennings with the prefects of 1955/56. Can anyone name the pupils? Towers The last two pictures show the school buildings.
In the first picture we see the two towers, with Tower A to the left and Tower B to the right, before the playgrounds were surfaced. There are many bicycles propped up at the base of Tower B; who did they belong to? The final picture is an aerial photograph taken around 1956/57, showing the school on Lichfield Road with the Wyrley and Essington Canal in the foreground, before either Wednesfield High School or Lakefield Road were built.