THE SALVATION Army, founded by William Booth in 1865, is still with us today, with more than one and a half million troops worldwide.
They still have a presence near our office in Cradley Heath, a purpose-built 21st century citadel which replaced its former home when the town was redeveloped. But within living memory the Salvation Army had several more bases in our region than they do today.
This picture, brought to us by Marjorie Millward of Oldbury, shows a group of women and children, many in uniform, at the Salvation Army in Oldbury in the mid-1950s. Marjorie's mother Alice Green is third from left in the second row from the front, and she tells us that the woman on the left of the third row had the surname Fenton.
Oldbury's Salvation Army branch closed soon after this picture was taken, and Alice Green moved to the Blackheath branch, but this also closed some time later.
If you can tell us anything more about the Oldbury or Blackheath branches of the Salvation Army, or indeed any other local branches, write in, give us a call, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.