HERE we have another photograph from the collection of regular contributor Michael Doyle of Walsall, showing fire damage at a Walsall parish church in the 1960s.
Michael writes, “Here is a view of part of St Michael’s Church of England church, St Michael Street, Caldmore. In 1964 it was struck by a direct bolt of lightning. Rumour at the time stated that the incumbent vicar had experienced another bolt of lightning at his church in a different part of the country. What a coincidence!”
St Michael and All Angels church was consecrated on 10th April, 1871. It was built in red sandstone in the Gothic style to a design by J.R. Veall of Wolverhampton, with several additions in following years. A north aisle was added in 1878 and a south aisle in 1880, the south chapel was built 1880-84 by the then vicar, Rev John Fenwick Laing, while the west porch and vestry were added in 1896, and the north chapel in the 1920s.
The fire resulting from the lightning strike in 1964 severely damaged the church but rebuilding was completed in 1967.