THESE photographs of the last phase of construction of the Wolverhampton ring road were taken by transport enthusiast Harry Taylor of Tividale.
Harry took the town's station as his standpoint and photographed the work in the summer of 1985 when the project was coming to an end.
Building of the ring road began in 1960 with the St Johns and St Marks sections connecting Snow Hill Junction, Penn Road Island and Chapel Ash Island.
The final section was that between Broad Street Junction and Bilston Street Island with a bridge over the road giving access to the railway station. Our last picture was taken by Harry in 1990 and shows the completed Railway Drive with the Chubb works in the background.
The ring road is perhaps best known as the former home of Józef Stawinoga (1920-2007), the Polish-born tramp who lived in a tent on the central reservation. Popularly known as Fred, he came to Wolverhampton after the Second World War and became something of a cult figure for his reclusive life.
Have you memories of the building of Wolverhampton ring road? Contact email@example.com