THIS postcard, originally posted in 1923, shows another lost landmark of the old Black Country that readers may well recall.
The card comes from the collection of John Taylor of Kidderminster and the view is of Bath Road, Stourbridge. The large building to the left is the swimming baths, first opened in 1901.
At first there was opposition to the building of public baths in the town but the foundation stone was laid on 2nd August, 1900, by Isaac Nash, chairman of the Stourbridge Urban District Council and a benefactor to the town who is memorialised by the clock tower at the old Carnegie Library and art school in?Hagley Road.
Construction cost £4,500 and the baths opened on 23rd May, 1901. As well as the 25-yard swimming pool there were hot and cold baths, spray baths and showers, with water supplied by a well sunk into the sandstone beneath the building.
In 1923 an outdoor pool was added. This was only open in the summer months and in the winter was boarded over and used as a dance floor.
Bath Road was widened in the late 1960s and today forms part of the Stourbridge ring road.
The baths were demolished in 1989, to make way for the Crystal Leisure Centre.
Have you any pictures of lost landmarks? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org