IN Bugle 1112 we printed a picture of Winnie Henley, along with an unknown commissionaire, on the roof of the Castle Cinema, Dudley, in 1933.
That picture was sent in by her son Jim Henley of Kingswinford and now he has sent in two more showing his parents at the old cinema.
Jim's parents, James and Winnie, both worked at the cinema in the 1930s, Winnie was an usherette while James was the projectionist. They were working at the picture house when they married on 27th August, 1932.
The Castle Cinema closed in 1936 but exactly when is not known. However, Jim can shed a little light on the matter. On his birth certificate, dated 29th November, 1936, his father is recorded as cinematograph operator, which suggests the Castle was still in business then.
After it closed, Jim tells us, the building (originally a temperance hall) was used as a roller skating venue and home to a roller hockey team. Later it was used as a car showroom and in the mid 1960s as a furniture store.