Login Register

Joy shortlived as DK slump at Chester

By Black Country Bugle  |  Posted: April 17, 2014

Comments (0)



DK travelled to Chester for this, the penultimate match of a very long and arduous season.

Early DK pressure resulted in a penalty after three minutes ably converted by Kieran Pinches. But joy was short lived as Chester replied within two minutes; a good attacking run and grubber kick led to Paul Sherlock crossing for an unconverted try. Three minutes later followed another, this time converted.

Chester increased their lead on 13 minutes with a super individual try from Sean Green. James Mitchell converted. But after a spirited spell of play, Wednesbury hooker Matt Humphreys fed John Tideswell who crossed for a try; converted by Pinches.

Once again, Chester replied immediately. Will Brown scored a try which was converted by Mitchell. Two minutes later DK scored again when a fine break from Harry Bayliss was fed to Donovan Smile who put T.J. Gordon over wide out. Kieran Pinches added the extra two points.

After 28 minutes home number 8 Guy Ford charged over from the base of a scrum with Mitchell converting.

DK were suffering from some indiscipline and not finding their touch kicks. This put pressure on the defence, and left wing Tim Jeffers crossed for a try which went unconverted. In first half injury time Mitchell added a penalty for the home team.

Immediately after the restart, the Chester number 8 broke away and scored a fine individual try. Mitchell converted. A fine break by John Tideswell came to nothing but in the resulting breakdown, the home side hooker Liam Gill was sent to the bin. This immediately resulted in DK adding to their score when T.J.Gordon crossed for his second try of the afternoon.

The young DK centre was having a good day with his elusive running outwitting the home defence on several occasions. On 52 minutes prop Dan Shakespeare was replaced by Richard Hickman for the visitors. After 56 minutes Chester were shown another yellow card when tough prop Gavin Woods crossed the path of referee William Halford.

Centres Harry Bayliss and Donovan Smile were both causing the home defence some problems. However DK were hit when influential number eight Tideswell was yellow carded for illegal use of his size tens. DK replaced James Jefferson with Duncan Tompkins and shortly afterwards replaced Bayliss with young Sam Shepherd. Pete Knight came on for a rare appearance replacing Tideswell. With 15 minutes remaining Guy Ford scored his third try for Chester.

Connor Jones then became the second DK player sent to the bin for having unnecessary words with the ref. Ford capped a fine display with his fourth try and Chester wound the proceedings up with a try from Andy Moore, converted by Mitchell.

Another spirited display from the young and enthusiastic DK side but one thinks they can only benefit from the Easter weekend break next week.

Read more from Black Country Bugle

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters