Lescott set to miss out
Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has been told he will not be included in Stuart Pearce's England squad when it is announced on Thursday.
Pearce is due to reveal which players will be involved in next week's friendly with Holland at Wembley. It had been anticipated Lescott would be amongst them given he was a regular under Fabio Capello and played alongside Phil Jagielka in the recent victory over world champions Spain.
However, following Wednesday night's Europa League victory over Porto, Lescott said: "I have been told I am not involved."
He added: "It is a chance for other players to get involved and prove what good players they are."
It gives credence to the theory Pearce might be about to pack his squad with younger players.
That will give hope to uncapped duo Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Tom Cleverley, in addition to the rookies such as Phil Jones and Chris Smalling, who have already made their international bows.
However, it is anticipated some experienced players will be involved.
- Brierley Hill Schoolboys My first sporting heroes
- Dudley's Stick of Dynamite, Dennis Stevens
- 'The Story of England's Goalkeeper Bert Williams of The Wolves'
- Exploring Dudley Tunnel and Limestone Mines in the 1970s
- Remembering an Oldbury pub in its 1920s heyday
- 'Although it stands slanting, it's really enchanting, and an ideal place for a spree' The Siden House song