READER John Bloore has emailed this photograph on the left to us, in the hope that other Buglers may be able to add more information about the building shown.
This image has been found amongst family photographs, and the picture is marked, “Trafford, Tipton, 1913”.
John believes that the impressive ivyclad house shown was associated with the Earl of Dudley’s estate.
A Mr Oliver Billingham was a manager on the estate, and this house may have been associated with his employment.
John hopes that the church in the background will give a clue to its location.
Well, it certainly has, for we are fairly certain that this is St Matthews Church, Dudley Road, Tipton. Can anyone confirm this for certain, and maybe tell us more about the house in the foreground, and its past residents.
The church itself was built in 1880, around 33 years prior to this photograph.
It cost £5,903 to build, of red brick in the Early English style.
The vicar in 1900 was the Rev. Robert Street Keitch.