RAILWAY enthusiasts among our readers may instantly recognise the locomotives in these photographs supplied to us by Laurence Brownhill of Dudley. To the uninitiated they may appear to be the same but they are, in fact, different models.
Our top picture was taken in September 1963 and shows a freight train from Bescot to Monument Lane passing through Tipton and pulled by 49406, and ex-LNWR 0-8-0 Class G2. Built in 1921 and designed by Hewitt Pearson Montague Beames, it was originally numbered 369 under the LNWR but became 9406 under the LMS and 49406 with British Rail.
Our colour picture dates from around the same time and shows a Stephenson Locomotive Society special railtour of the Midlands. The train is returning to Birmingham New Street and is just coming off the Princes End Branch at Owen Street, Tipton. The locomotive is 48930, ex-LNWR 0-8-0 Class B, otherwise known as a four-cylinder compound. Designed by Francis Webb, she entered service in April 1903 as 1248 but was renumbered 8930 by the LMS and became 48930 under British Rail.
The London and North Western Railway was formed in 1846 by the merger of the Grand Junction Railway, the London and Birmingham Railway and the Manchester and Birmingham Railway. It operated several lines in the Black Country and another connection with our region is that its chairman from 1911 to 1921 was the local businessman and four-time mayor of Dudley Sir Gilbert Claughton.
In 1923 the LNWR became one of the main constituents of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
Please share your railway memories and photographs. Contact email@example.com or write to 41 High Street, Cradley Heath, B64 5HL.