THIS interesting item of Black Country memorabilia, courtesy of regular Bugle contributor Mary Green, takes us back 58 years. It is a drawing of caricatures of some of the aldermen, councillors and officials of Rowley Regis Council who attended the meeting on 31st January, 1955.
Does anyone recognise any of the men depicted? The cartoon is the work of “Pop” Osborne, whose comic drawings appeared in local newspapers. Can anyone tell us more about him?
Local government in Rowley Regis began in 1869 when the Rowley Regis Local Board of Health was inaugurated, replacing the old parish authority.
The board met at offices in Rowley Regis but in 1879 it moved to new, purpose-built offices near Holy Trinity Church, Old Hill. The board of health was replaced by Rowley Regis UDC in 1894 and in 1933 this was elevated to the status of a municipal corporation by a charter of George V. New municipal buildings were erected at Temple Meadow, Old Hill, and opened on 17th December, 1938.
In 1966 Rowley Regis was absorbed into the new borough of Warley, which was itself subsumed into subsequent borough of Sandwell in 1974.
The municipal buildings in Old Hill were demolished in October 2012.