THIS interesting item of Black Country ephemera has been brought to us by Robert Hickman of Halesowen. It is a badge from the Dudley Bazaar and after conducting a little research Robert believes it may be around 90 years old.
Robert has found a poster for the Union Jack Bazaar that was held at the skating rink in Trindle Road, October 4-7, 1922.
The bazaar was organised by the Dudley Unionist Association and the man in the picture is Cyril Edward Lloyd, Conservative MP for Dudley at that time.
C.E. Lloyd was a prominent Black Country businessman. In 1918 he succeeded Sir George Hingley as chairman of Netherton ironfounders N.Hingley and Sons Ltd., holding the post for the next 41 years. He was also a director of Lloyds Bank and the Great Western Railway. His home was just outside the Black Country, at Church House, Broome, Worcestershire.
Lloyd first won the Dudley seat at the 1922 general election, held on November 15, defeating the incumbent, Labour's James Wilson, by 4,354 votes. He held the seat at the 1923 and 1924 general elections, although in 1924 Labour's Oliver Baldwin, son of the Conservative Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, reduced Lloyd's majority to 885.
Lloyd was then defeated by Baldwin in the 1929 general election. However, Lloyd regained Dudley in a wartime by-election.
In May 1941 Dudley's Conservative MP, Dudley Joel, was killed while on active service with the RNVR. In the by-election held in July Lloyd defeated the independent candidate Noel Pemberton Billing, a right-wing firebrand seeking to resurrect his parliamentary career.
Lloyd's second term as MP for Dudley did not last long; he was defeated in the 1945 general election by Labour's George Wigg.
The skating rink that hosted the Unionists' bazaar is one of the long lost buildings of Dudley. It stood on the junction of Trindle Road and Claughton Road and was built in 1888 as a circus venue. The following year it was bought by John Maurice Clement who converted it to a theatre, opening as the Colosseum Theatre on June 9, 1889.
However, in 1899 Clement opened the Dudley Opera House, leaving his Colosseum redundant.
Shows continued to be put on there but at some point in the early 1900s the venue was converted into a roller skating rink. Robert Hickman has supplied us with a couple of photographs that show the interior and its large skating rink.
Little else is known of the skating rink other than it was destroyed by fire in 1924.
Have you any unusual or interesting stories and pictures to share with Bugle readers? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 41 High Street, Cradley Heath, B64 5HL.