THIS photograph of the Miner’s Arms Inn dates, we reckon, from around the turn of the nineteenth/twentieth centuries; perhaps a few years earlier than this Green Man picture.
It was brought to Bugle House by Marguerite Gwilliam of Netherton, who tells us that it was found some thirty years ago in a Netherton office, that of Malcolm Stewart’s estate agents, next to Ma Pardoe’s Old Swan in the middle of the town. The pub shown, the Miners Arms Inn, stood on the corner of Meeting Street and Castle Street, Marguerite tells us.
The name of the proprietor can just about be made out above the door with a magnifying glass over the original; George Baker. No doubt it’s George and his family who are pictured outside.
Mrs Baker is holding the latest addition to the family, and two of the older children are holding the traditional iron hoops. Notice too that there’s a man leaning against the wall at far right. Perhaps a regular who just sneaked onto the picture at the last second? We can’t find any reference to the Miner’s Arms Inn in any sources from the early twentieth century, nor to a George Baker, but according to Blocksidge’s Dudley Almanack of 1925, Richard Frederick Baker and Elizabeth Ann Baker were resident at number 22 Castle Street. Perhaps they were relatives of the publican?